Who should service and maintain our fire extinguishers?
Maintenance and servicing of fire extinguishers should be performed by a licensed and insured fire extinguisher servicing company that has the proper tools, training, recharge materials, lubricants, manufacturer’s servicing instructions, and replacement parts.
How often should my fire extinguishers be checked?
Monthly – Quick check to ensure that the fire extinguisher is in the designated place with no obstruction to access or visibility, and that the pressure gauge indicator is in the operable range. Annually – A thorough examination of the basic elements of the fire extinguisher performed by a trained person who has undergone the necessary instructions and has the manufacturer’s service manual.
What are the classes of Fire and which Fire Extinguisher should I use?
- Class A – Combustible materials: Caused by flammable solids, such as wood, paper, and fabric.
- Class B – Flammable liquids: Such as petrol, turpentine, propane or paints
- Class C – Live Electrical Equipment: Electrical panels, wiring, computers.
- Class D – Combustible metals: Chemicals such as magnesium, aluminum or potassium, lithium, titanium.
- Class K – Cooking Materials: Cooking oils, Animal and Vegetable fats, grease.